Monday, 25 November 2013

EVE LOM VS. COCONUT OIL





I love a bargain but I do seem to have this strange mentality that the more expensive a product is the more magical it’s going to be. I’m fast learning that this is not necessarily the case.

I had read so much about the Eve Lom cleanser and so was really excited to try it. According to the Space NK website, Vogue considers it to be “probably the best cleanser in the world”. In my opinion this is a little excessive… Although it’s a good product and I love the packaging, I don’t think it lives up to the hype. I was also a bit cross to see numerous parabens in the ingredients and that mineral oil is the primary ingredient…. Not what I wanted from my £55 splurge! (£55 for 100ml)


Eve Lom ingredients:  PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), PEG-30 LANOLIN, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, ALUMINUM STEARATE, THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) SEED BUTTER, PEG-75 LANOLIN, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER OIL, EUGENIA CARYOPHYLLUS (CLOVE) LEAF OIL, EUCALYPTUS GLOBULUS LEAF OIL, HUMULUS LUPULUS (HOPS) CONE OIL, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, BHT, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN.

The smell isn’t what I would describe as delicious but is intriguingly comforting and I find myself looking forward to using the product in part because of the smell. It claims to exfoliate, brighten and tone and lives up to such claims to an extent however it does sting my eyes a little (which the coconut oil doesn’t at all!). The Eve Lom cleanser requires you to remove the product with a muslin cloth (the exfoliation part) and I’ve found that if I remove coconut oil in the same way it has a fairly similar effect.

Primarily because of the high price and paraben content, I can’t see myself repurchasing.

Coconut oil on the other hand has it all. Natural, multi-tasking and effective it’s a recent discovery that I can’t believe I haven’t stumbled across before. With its anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, coconut oil is packed with the natural goodies you’d want from a cleanser.For £7.99 for 400g online at the ethical superstore, it’s also a bargain.

I wear some fairly stubborn mascaras (I like their durability) and coconut oil has honestly been the only product I’ve found that removes basically anything with ease whilst being seriously hydrating for the delicate eye area (I used to use Bi-Facil eye makeup remover by Lancome).

I usually follow the use of coconut oil with the Dr Alkaitis Organic purifying cleanser, so perhaps it would be more apt to describe the coconut oil as a makeup remover. However this is just my preference and it’s also possible to use the coconut oil alone as a cleanser as the makeup artist Rose-Marie Swift of RMS Beauty suggests. Either way I’m hooked, and in order to make my new addiction more portable (rather than carrying around the huge vat/jar it comes in) I spoon a small amount into the container of a finished product (I personally use a L’occitaine one that I got free with a magazine).

I like this short article that features coconut oil as the godsend it is…





All in all, whilst the Eve Lom cleanser is good, it’s not as great as the natural, cheaper option I’ve found in coconut oil!

xxx