Wednesday, 5 February 2014

KJAER WEIS MAKEUP REVIEW

I have to say all the products that I’ve tried from this line I’ve found fairly flawless. Wanting to avoid the nasty chemicals in synthetic makeup and unimpressed with the natural makeup options on the market, makeup artist Kirsten Kjaer Weis has created her own line that is “luxurious, organic, harm free, high performance and green” (I definitely think it ticks all these boxes). I love when makeup artists create their own line of makeup because they really know what’s required and desired of makeup. (I’ve had similar success with RMS beauty, founded by makeup artist Rose Marie Swift).


My only bugbear with this line is how much we’re paying for the packaging. Yes it is beautiful, but the metal case is the same price as the product itself. It’s a hit I’m willing to take, given the quality of the product and that you only have to pay for the refill ever after the first blow, but I’m still licking my wounds a little…



Charmed Eyeshadow: Although gorgeous the actual colour of this product is my least favourite of the Kjaer Weis eyeshadows I bought. Having said that I also use this one the most, so it’s definitely ranked number one in terms of usefulness. It’s so so slightly iridescent but definitely not sparkly which I love because although I’d say it has a matte effect, it doesn’t sit awkwardly on the skin like some matte textures do. It blends so well for a natural look, perfect for daytime on the lid or to define the crease! Lasts all day.

Price: £30
Ingredients: Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tocopheryl Acetate, Gardenia Florida Fruit Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium(Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica(Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Zinc Stearate. May Contain +/- Mica, Iron oxide (CI 77491), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron oxide (CI 77492), Iron oxide (CI 77499), Carmine (CI75470).

Cloud Nine Eyeshadow: Is this lovely champagne, neutral golden white shade. Again it’s not sparkly but very slightly iridescent. Good staying power and I like to use it on the inner corners of my eye and lid for a very subtle daytime look.

Price: See above
Ingredients: See above

Onyx Eyeshadow Refill: THIS COLOUR IS AMAZING. Of the three I bought, I was least excited about this one yet it’s turned out to be my favourite. The colour is buildable and lasts SO well without creasing. I bought the refill because I couldn’t bare to buy another full priced metal cased eyeshadow and so far that hasn’t really been a problem (however if you’d be doing a lot of travelling I would suggest buying the full product – all £16 of metal casing).

Price: £14
Ingredients: See above



Mascara
: The best natural mascara I’ve tried! Performs amazingly throughout the day (no flaking, smudging etc.) and really makes a difference to the lashes. It’s also incredibly comfortable to wear. Although it’s thicker in texture than any other mascara I’ve used, of my non-natural makeup I’d most liken its effect to my Terrybly Growth Booster Mascara By Terry (£34). Although the Kjaer Weis mascara is buildable and has quite impressive volume I generally like to use something with even more oomph in the evening (usually Max Factor False Lash Effect 24 hr Mascara - £10 - because it goes bigger and bolder).


Full Price: £32
Refill: £19
Ingredients: Glucose, aqua (water), lavandula angustifolia (lavander) flower water*, mica, cetyl babassuate, theobroma grandiflorum seed butter*, cera alba*, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil*, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax*, glyceryl caprylate, hectorite, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, glycerin, chondrus crispus (carrageenen) extract, plantago lanceolata leaf extract*, canola oil, rosa damascena flower oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, CI 77891,CI 77499, Iron oxides, silver oxide, citronellol*, geraniol*.

I hope this is helpful for those considering purchasing Kjaer Weis products, and for those who already have, I'd love to hear about how you're experiences compare and what other products to try from the range...


xxx