Tuesday, 18 March 2014

MINERAL FOUNDATIONS: INIKA & NYR

These mineral foundations have been my first experience with loose powder foundation. I was preparing myself for something a little less practical and a lot messier than liquid foundations or pressed powders, however I haven’t actually really found this to be the case. Both the NYR and Inika foundations are incredibly breathable, and I’d say are pretty fool proof in application (simply buff it on until required coverage is achieved), but I would say I’ve found that the brush I apply it with makes a big difference… I’ve used both the Eco Tools and Space NK kabuki brush and while I like both, I prefer the latter (even if it does shed a little) because I find it distributes the product more efficiently and evenly.

Inika: I was so impressed with the coverage this provided (a good medium)! Although it can initially sometimes look a little powdery on the skin, I find that it tends to blend and work with my complexion a little after application (how and why I don’t know). So coverage good, staying power good and it doesn’t remotely irritate my skin! It can have a tendency to settle on dry patches but this is easily fixed with regular exfoliation. I will say that in strong sunlight it can look a little sparkly and while this great for winter to give a bit of a glow, it might be a bit too obvious in the summer… We’ll have to see, but I’ve definitely been impressed with this foundation.
Shade: Nurture 04
Price: £27
Ingredients: Mica (CI 77019) May contain (+/-) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891); Zinc Oxide (CI 77947); Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499); Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Neal’s Yard Remedies: This gives such a beautifully natural coverage and slight glow! Personally though, I feel my complexion isn’t good enough to wear this alone. I usually put this over my RMS Uncoverup and love the flawless effect this gives. If you have great skin and just want a little beautification then I’d definitely suggest this. The coverage is light but I’d say it does last, and it feels amazing on my skin, so so gentle. Even though it doesn’t provide as much coverage as I’d initially hoped, as a barely there makeup I’d buy it again.
Shade: 04 Medium Warm
Price: £22.50
Ingredients: Mica, Kaolin, Zinc stearate, Zea mays (Corn) starch*, Tapioca starch*, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea butter) oil*, Ethylhexyl stearate, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) seed oil*, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil*, Squalane, caprylic/capric triglyceride, Ethylhexyl palmitate, Tocopherol, Camellia sinensis (White tea) leaf extract, Alaria esculenta extract , CI 77891 (Titanium dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron oxides), CI 77491 (Iron oxides), CI 77499 (Iron oxides).

Any mineral foundations that you’ve been particularly keen on? I’ve heard quite a bit about the Lily Lolo loose powder so would love to hear any feedback on it and whether it’s worth a try…

xxx